I have so much respect for drag queens because they dress up everyday (well, most of them) to look like women and they look amazing. I’m a real woman and mama, I can’t even be bothered to put on foundation for work.
I don’t know how I got here. I didn’t know I would ever be interested in drag because I don’t like heavy makeup but damn they look so good! Drag queens are so creative and hardworking, I salute them.
In my last post, I mentioned that I’ve been watching RuPaul’s Drag Race. 1It’s a reality show where drag queens compete to be next American drag superstar. It’s a mix of America’s Next Top Model, Project Runway, and Lipsync Battle but it by no means ripped off those three shows. I would love to introduce you to the drag world but I’m no expert 2I’ve only watched a few seasons. so instead, I’ll just introduce you to my top 5 favorite (drag) queens from the show.
- Katya 3Her full name is Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova. – She’s a Russian transvestite hooker, according to her. But she’s really from Boston and she knows how to speak French fluently. She has also studied Russian, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and a little bit of Japanese. I love her sense of fashion because it’s quirky and her sense of humor is hilarious. I love how random yet intelligent and eloquent she is on UNHhhh.
- Raven – She’s got the mug 4Or face. almost every drag queen is copying. I love her because she tells it like it is on Fashion Photo Ruview and she’s one of the biggest fans of RPDR. I also love her lips even if, admittedly, they’re too big sometimes. She got robbed twice for the crown of RPDR but you’d think she won the way she dresses.
- Raja (Gemini) – She’s part-Asian (half-Indonesian) and her fashion sense is phenomenal, which is why she won Season 3 and co-hosts FPR with Raven. I love how she uses her natural hair when she’s in drag and she’s not afraid to show her true self in drag events.
- Trixie Mattel – She co-hosts UNHhhh with Katya and they’re so funny, I actually laugh out loud when I’m watching the show. She’s also been part of American Horror Story season 6 and is a country musician. I love how her makeup is doll-like and she don’t give a fuck if you like it or not.
- Pearl (Liaison) – She looks so good in and out of drag 5Most of the girls in this list are. ugh. She also has a great sense of style and is laid-back. I relate to her because people think she’s always chill but she’s really not. 6People always tell me I’m a laid-back person but I’m a Type A???
I wish this list could’ve been longer but it would’ve bored you Those who didn’t make it into this list but are my faves: Violet Chachki, Kim Chi, Naomi Smalls, Bianca del Rio, and Farrah Moan.
I got hooked into watching anything drag queens-related because of FPR. It’s like the fashion police but better. Their reads are so gooood. BTW, “reading” is “to wittily and incisively expose a person’s flaws.” And a “shade” is a subtle read. So much of mainstream pop culture lingo comes from the LGBTQ community and I’m sad I didn’t realize it until now. Also, some memes most of us enjoy are from RPDR, which is for another post because there are tons.
And if you want to watch funny compilations of the shows I mentioned, I gotchu fam:
P.S. My country is a mess right now, most of the world is, and I will post about it sometime soon. For now, let’s appreciate these genius, aesthetically pleasing, real, biological women.
Header quote is from this episode of UNHhhh.
Footnotes [ + ]
|1.||⇡||It’s a reality show where drag queens compete to be next American drag superstar. It’s a mix of America’s Next Top Model, Project Runway, and Lipsync Battle but it by no means ripped off those three shows.|
|2.||⇡||I’ve only watched a few seasons.|
|3.||⇡||Her full name is Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova.|
|5.||⇡||Most of the girls in this list are.|
|6.||⇡||People always tell me I’m a laid-back person but I’m a Type A???|
|« Still here||Should I stay »|